We offer a personal and friendly approach to help mothers breastfeed, offer a range of practical support and advice:
- Access to community breastfeeding groups
- Antenatal breastfeeding information
- Breastfeeding advice and support to mothers and wider family for up to 6-8 weeks
- Help for mothers to maintain breastfeeding
- Helpline support for mothers and families (restricted hours)
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the benefits of breastfeeding
- Initial breastfeeding / infant feeding support within 48 hours of hospital discharge from the Royal Stoke Hospital or home birth
- Promotion of wider Public Health initiatives to help support families with a healthy lifestyle
- Safeguarding for mothers and babies
- Understanding of maternal well-being and ability to refer on as appropriate
Available to all mothers who have just given birth
All mothers who have just given birth and live in Stoke-on-Trent will receive a contact from the Community Breastfeeding Team within 48 hours of discharge from the Royal Stoke Hospital or a home birth.
Referrals into the team can also be made by
- All healthcare professionals, including GPs, Health Visitors, Midwives.
- Antenatal mothers
- Self-referrals from mothers with infants up to 8 weeks
Speak to your relevant healthcare professional for referral advice.
To self refer into the service telephone 0300 7900 163
The Community Breastfeeding Team offers a breastfeeding support helpline which families can call
08:00 to 18:00
Monday to Saturday (excluding Bank Holidays)
Outside of these times, a national helpline can be called
09:30 to 21:30